The Microbiology Department provides a comprehensive range of testing, including:
- Routine and mycobacterial culture – the study of bacteria
- Mycology – the study of fungi
- Parasitology – the study of parasites
- Molecular and antimicrobial susceptibility testing
- Infectious Disease Serology
In addition to provision of high quality and readily available diagnostic services to Northern Health, the department also provides consultation and advice to medical and nursing staff regarding appropriate selection of laboratory investigations, specimen collection requirements and for results interpretation and antibiotic guidance.
The department works closely with the Infectious Diseases and Infection Prevention Department and contributes to antimicrobial stewardship program guidelines and provision of cascade reporting and antibiogram to support the program.